Charles (Charlie) Halford has lived in the greater Manteca/Lathrop area all his life and has been involved with various community activities that have supplied valuable programs to our residents young and old.
Charlie is a 1972 graduate of East Union High School; he received a BA degree in Criminal Justice from Cal State Sacramento in 1976. He is a 1977 graduate of the Police Academy and graduated in 1991 from the FBI Academy. He has also worked up the ranks through the Manteca Police Department until he was promoted to Chief of Police in 1997.
Time is very valuable for Charlie, but he is more than generous in his volunteer capacity. He has served or is still serving as a member of the following Board of Directors: Boys & Girls Clubs of Manteca/Lathrop (served as President); United Way of San Joaquin County (served as President); Doctors Hospital of Manteca; Give Every Child A Chance; and is a member of the Manteca Rotary. Charlie has also served on several committees.
Charlie received the following awards and recognitions:
• June 1982 - Letter of Commendation regarding armed robbery;
• Oct. 1982 - Certified Marksman by USMC;
• Oct. 1983 - Metorious Service Award from Police Dept. for rescuing 2 children in a fire;
• 1984 - Police Officer of the Year (Manteca Rotary);
• 1997 - MUSD commendation regarding flood.
Charlie has one son, his name is Nathaniel.