Jesse Jerome Overshiner was born Jan. 13, 1860 in Indiana and moved to the Manteca area in 1883.
His first work in the Manteca area was for Joshua Cowell as farm manager for 16 years although he did do some grain farming on his own.
In 1898 at the age of 38, Overshiner built the first general store in Manteca at 523 W. Yosemite Ave. He added a butcher shop in 1911 and later a blacksmith shop.
Overshiner bought large acreage from the Sperry family. His property was bounded by West Yosemite at the railroad crossing, west to North Walnut and north to the tracks. He sold three acres to Yosemite Grammar School after the East Union School burned in 1913.
The Overshiner's built their dream home in 1911 at 629 W. Yosemite. The stately home is still standing today at 629 W. Yosemite and was among the first homes built in Manteca.
Overshiner was a member of the first board of directors for the Bank of San Joaquin when Manteca incorporated in 1918. He played a key role in securing a proper railroad depot for Manteca in 1914. Overshiner was elected to the City Council in 1925. He was elected mayor in 1930 and served in that capacity until 1936.