Dr. Robert C. Winter
When Dr. Robert C. Winter arrived in Manteca in 1946, the community was much like his hometown of Western, Nebraska, a small farming community in eastern Nebraska.
His community involvement included school board service, volunteering as a team doctor for Manteca sports, and being a friend of youth who just wanted to talk.
He was rewarded when the students of Manteca recommended the high school gym be named in his honor.
He was instrumental in the establishment of the Manteca District Ambulance as well as the hospital that would eventually become Doctors Hospital of Manteca. He gave free medical care to the clergy, members of the Manteca Police Department, and other needy members of the community. He often made house calls.
Dr. Winter served the United Methodist Church in numerous capacities including being on the finance committee for construction of the present church at North and Powers. He was a member of the Manteca Fire Department and Manteca-Lathrop Rural Fire Department.