Henry C. Long
The Long family has called French camp home since 1901. As a child, Henry grew up around agriculture and worked on the family farm of 300-acres. After a two year stint in the Army, Henry assumed the reigns of the family farm in 1954. Along with his brother William, and operating under the partnership Long Brothers, Henry made the transition from dry crops to farming alfalfa, asparagus, tomatoes, sugar beets and wheat. At the height of their farming operations, the brothers farmed over 550 acres retiring in 1995.
Chairman of the Reclamation District 17, Henry served on the board for over 33 years. Being a member of the San Joaquin Farm Bureau Federation for 48 years, Henry joined the Board of Directors in 1987. Along with being a member of the Calla Nile Farm Center Board for 28 years, Henry also associated with the following boards: The Ag Advisory Board, Nisei Farmers League Board of Directors, The Delta Water Use Association, and The San Joaquin County Economic Development Association. In 1988, French Camp named Henry “Man of the Year”. He directed the French Camp-McKinley Fire District for 40 years (1969-2010). The San Joaquin County inducted Henry into the Agricultural Hall of Fame in 2012.
Outside of agricultural organizations, Henry actively participates in his community. He has been committed member of the Dante Club for over 63 years. He also takes part in the following clubs: Liguri Mondo Club, Swiss-Italian Club, Italian Catholic Association 390 in Tracy, Bersaglieri Men’s Club and Native Son’s Club in Stockton. Henry is involved in the San Joaquin Valley Swiss Club in Ripon as well as the Stanislaus Swiss Association.
Henry married Angelina Bacchetti in 1955. They have three daughters, three grandchildren, and three great grandchildren.